Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Losing Interest....

in Warcraft, in amongst other things. Im down to about one quest a day. Its just - such mindless button punching to me. Perhaps this is a sign that my depression is lifting, I want to *do* things, rather than just sit here and stare at a screen for hours. Actually *interact* with people, instead of just typing a couple of non-specifics to people I barely know each day.
Movies... oh I *love* movies, dont get me wrong - but - ugh. Its all the same old thing, over and over and over. Even the most innovative ones bore me on plot. How many ways are there to save the princess, save the world, get the guy/girl, or have a happy ending? I once read that there really are only 7 original plots in the world... Im beginning to believe them.

My house is becoming sparser and sparser for decoration. Again, losing interest. Ive always called such things "dust-collectors" but they are also money burners. I really dont understand the point of buying things that just sit and look pretty. (not when the view outside my window is infinitely more interesting day by day - trees, sky, grass...) ((Or for that matter, the backdrops on my computer - no money, no space taken up, no dust, just *pretty*))

Tigger got me a new screen for my computer. It wasnt so much that I needed one - the old one worked fine. However... the new one is a flat panel, the old was still a tube, so this takes up far less space and collects *less* dust (yes, this makes me giggle) and the 23" wide screen (soooo shiny) well - for movies and yes, for when I do play WoW... its *amazing*.

I miss the days, I really do - when I owned nothing. These movies, and things, and screens - as nice as they are... they tie me to a place. I dont like that. I think its why Ive become an obsessive box collector now. Oh, they are all pretty, nicely sized boxes (Ikea, mostly) but Ive found a minor amount of peace in keeping a great amount of things "boxed" up and out of view. Ready for that move. Ready to be handed off to someone else. Ready to disappear.
Or at least - it makes them disappear out of my mind. Boxed away, I ont have to worry about "owning" them. and if after a period of time, we have discovered we didnt miss them, than Im *pretty* bloody sure we wont. Period. Its like a trial run on downsizing.

Perhaps thats *my* reaction to fear. Instead of buying things, I purge. Social anomaly. Maybe an extreme "flight" reaction - or is it really a "fight" reaction? Certianly, its a fight against a cultural norm.

Speaking of culture.....
Over the last few days, Ive been unable to stop giggling over a particular mental image.
Personified countries... THe U.S. and Canada as younger, probably mid teens types. West and Eastern Europe as older, semi-retired people. West and East are relaxed, sitting on thier porch, sipping fine red wines, looking at theUS and Canada, who are in less than new, almost ratty, once designer clothes, starting to look a little lean...
The caption to this little picture always reads something along the lines of "Welcome to the Dark Ages. Survive this, and you can eat with the adults."

1 comment:

Lynnie Ha said...

i have boxes in my head. i put things away in there and never see them again. unfortunately, my physical space is awfully crowded with things these things i never see. how can i get rid of the junk, when i never see it? pretty much just when i've stepped on something and broken it...

and if that makes any sense to your mind whatsoever, i *will* be worried...