Saturday, November 27, 2010

Well -

Im off to see the first half, of the final installment, of the Harry Potter movies tonight.
And after re-reading that final book again, I came to a realization.

I did a quick look on line, and although a few sites make mention of the obvious "Harry dies, then comes back to life to save the world" similarity between him and Christ... no one has ever made comment on the final aspect there.  And to me, its far more important.

*After* Harry comes back - *none* of his enemy, Voldemorts, spells work.
Because just as the love, that Harrys mother gave, protected him from the death that he would have suffered - even kept him from being touched at all, by evil...
*His* love - for everybody around him... protected them all.

The moment Voldemort kills Harry, he loses - everything.
Oh, he can still *cast* the spells....
But they have no affect.

Harry's love, become the guard, for every single person out there.
Just as the love of God, is our protection, for all who call upon him.

Its subtle.  Its just one line, in the books, when Harry has his final showdown, but its so perfect, it amazes me.

Yes, Im still a total Snape fan.  I think his tale is the most heart-rending, powerful story in the whole series.  I cant help but wonder if every once in a while, Snape had the thought "He should have been *my* son."  And its obvious, Lilly had a type - she liked the dark curls, the intense eyes, the proud, arrogant men.  Perhaps why James and Severus hated each other so fiercely, was because they were, quite a bit alike.  And often, when Snape is so meticulous, in counting up Harry's faults, - we see that they are the faults he himself has. 
In many ways, he is the ultimate abusive father.   Every bit a figure in Harrys life, as James would have been - and far more involved, then Dumbledore ever was.  Snape motivated Harry through the negative, which I know from my own upbringing, can be an amazingly, powerful force in the heart of someone who is determined to succeed.

And maybe, thats where *I* see myself.  For the first time, ever, Harry Potter has given me a vantage point of positivity, on my life, that Ive never had.  Harry had - all the same traits as the bad guys.  He had all the power, and all the hunger, and all the anger.
I too - had the childhood, in an adopted family, that didnt fit me.  The family that tortured me, and hurt me, and still, didnt kill what was in me.
In the end, we see that Harrys greatest strength, his best ability, was that through it all, he remained "pure in heart"
Its not that he never screwed up, not that he never had bad thoughts, or made some wrong steps.  But that he actually chose to learn from them, teach from them.  Not sit off in the corner going "woe is me".  He chose to become a better person.  He refused to grow bitter, angry, or frustrated, for long.
And the most negative, powerful forces he came across, usually in the form of Snape, only forced him to work harder, at being *better*.
At not giving into his faults, but holding to his integrity with both hands and not giving up.

*laughs* Even Umbridge, who punished him so harshly, that the words "I shall not tell lies" were permanently etched on the back of his hand....  He learned that lesson - in *truth* - and we see that by telling the truth, he did, indeed, win out - time and time again.

Yes, I owe CT a huge debt, in pretty much forcing these books on me.  I can honestly say, that they changed my life.  And even strengthened my relationship with God, giving me a better aspect, to see from - how *He* sees me. 

Im going to enjoy, tonight.
absolutely.

No comments: