Saturday, July 17, 2010

Let me start here...

Yes, Im angry.
t myself, at my writing partner... but mostly at myself.
Oh, Im angry at Hollywood too, but mostly myself.

Schools for demi-gods? Yeah, I did it first.
Cain as a demonic black vampire? Yeah, that was me.
John Carpenter, Liv TYler, Will Smith, - hate to all break the news to you big names - but - your ideas *arent* as origanal as you think...
and you may have names that draw *billions* to the game, but you arent special and unique flowers.

Angst Inc was there first.

And if I could have just gotten off my lazy ass, and actually *written* it - I could have been the millionaire in question.... maybe.
Maybe.

And thats what irritates me the most, I think.

I once read that true humility, is *knowing* you could build the most amazing thing in the world - but rejoicing when someone else does it instead of you.
So - I *know* I could do it...but.....

Im not rejoicing.
Theres a movie coming out in 2011.  I beleive its called I.M.Mortal.  or some such shit.
Its sci fi - about some kind of demon hunter, who cant die.
Sci fi is a place we havent *quite* gone....but damnit
it was *my* idea first.  Yes - it was *mine*   Id like to play all sweet and nice, but its bullshit, Im sorry but - the ideas are mine.  I pitch them to two other people, and either they get scripted out, or they dont.  But the *ideas* are always mine.

SO yeah, when you just toss a full concept and written out story line away of mine, yeah - Im laughing my ass off at you.  If you set your sights a bit higher, and wanted to work on it, Im pretty sure I could have made you a hell of a good paycheck with that one.

My "In Progress" folder has 15 started, but never revisited story ideas.
my "finished shorts" folder has 16 more.  a misnomer if Ive ever had one, nothing in that folder is really finished - just, more ideas that could work into something, but I just didnt feel like working on it past that point.

I woke up with another great one. Expect it in theaters probably 2013....   a woman growing up in a forest setting, trying to preserve the area - they are right on the edge of the ocean, so its a coastal forest.  Probably easily placed anywhere in the world.  The house is mostly glass... but she ends up living in a cottage off to the side.  I got a very strong "snow white retelling" vibe from it... but more focused on the environmental impact of  clear cutting and animal rights.
there was a romance involved in there too... I wish I could remember more....  Snow White meets avatar....
yeah, that in and of itself is worth the exploration *laughs*
oh, and there was magic... and elephants. *shakes head*.

but the point is - Im angry.  Im frustrated.
And I dont know what to do about it, because I really dont know what I can *do* about it.
*cries*

1 comment:

Angelia Sparrow said...

Percy Jackson has been out since 2005 in novel form.

Ideas are kind of free-floating. A lot of similar ideas get written around the same time. And publisher LOVE to cash in on a trend...

At some point you have to declare the stupid thing DONE and send it out. You can rewrite and edit forever if you don't send it.