Friday, May 22, 2009

My American Idol Rant.

because sooner or later, you all knew I had to have one.

Let me start with this. American Idol, will *NEVER* actually crown a truly talented, amazing artist. Its impossible.
Dont get me wrong, the new Pocket Idol King is adorable, talented, and - yes, amazing.
But... but.... just. But.

It comes down to this. True, real talent alienates people. Its why we have genres, Its why we have cliques. Its why we have the term "hidden diamonds". It inspires people to truly *worship* their idols. And unfortunately, that means that "popular vote" is the distinct and absolute antithesis of the raw, primal power that comes with a true "idol".

Chris Allan managed to take genre songs, and make them - palatable to the masses. That in and of itself takes great talent - probably greatly *underestimated* talent. But Adam Lambert took a widely popular song, and turned it into a genre specific masterpiece (Ring of Fire).

Adam Lambert, by definition, is an idol - he invokes great passionate hate, or love in people.
Kris Allan, by definition, just isnt.

This, in many ways, is also why the concept of Democracy fails.
By depending on popular vote, you are only going to appeal to a certain type of person to start with. And than, to have a platform that appeals to enough people, you cannot incite real passion in people, because if you do, you will separate yourself too much from the norm.

But, I suppose - Kris Allan is certainly a "safe" god to worship. A generic, white bread god with no real power over hearts or minds. That will allow you to continue your merry way with a bit more spring in your step.
Just like the "God" of America, really.

A real Idol? A true "God"? once again, I go back to my ever favorite, CS Lewis, in chronicles of Narnia.
"Safe? Of course He's not safe! But He's *good*.
All Hail the top 4 who *didnt win*
For those who are not generic enough to win the full vote.
Danny Gokey, who inspired me to new levels of distaste and distrust.
Allison Iraheta, who actually made me *want* to like her.
Matt Giraud, who is probably just deeply enough niche'd into genre to have staying power in today's culture.

And yes, All hail Adam Lambert, who inspired enough passion in the people to keep him there, but wasnt generic enough to win.
I'll be waiting on that album.

1 comment:

Apryl said...

I was waiting for this....

I was truly suprised he did not win... I never heard him sing or watched any of the show I only ever caught the end where they announced who was voted "best". I was still highly dispointed from what people were saying it sounded like Kris would loose... ohh well

like you said... I await Adam's album