Saturday, October 16, 2010

blahblahrant - part 3

*sighs*
of course, you *would* want to talk about baptism.

Well, lets start with the basic idea.  Yes - its a *good* idea.  Stupid - perhaps, but good.
Why good? Because its the *ultimate* in public confession.  its you *literally* saying "Im starting over again... and this time, with *Him*"  And not just in the literal sense, but in the spiritual, and mental sense too.  And trust me, those things *count*.

Hey - have you read Proverbs 16 yet?
uhhuh, thats what I thought...

anyways, Baptism.  Jesus did it - and if you want to be like Him... Its probably a good step.  If you need "more" biblical necessity then that, go buy a book.  Theres hundreds of them.  Most of them shit, but - feel free to take a look.

First of all, you're going to need to decide if you want to be sprinkled, or dunked.  No - I dont really think it matters to God which.  Seriously, I dont.  Some people are afraid of water... yes, I think God would be cool with them being sprinkled.  Some people prefer the ritual involved.  Some people like the spectacle of being dunked.  Some people want the full emergence and sense of rebirth.  SOme people want to do *exactly* what Jesus did.

You know what I think? I think God sees your heart.  I think He knows what your intent is in doing it.  me? Ive been baptized 3 times.  Yes, 3.  Once as a baby, which I think is bunk - but on the other hand, - if you *really* believe in predestination, then that may be why Im a Christian today.  Second time, as a teen, I was sprinkled.  It definitely set me on the path to where I am.  It was my initial "yeah, Im going to give this life change thing a real shot".  The third time, I was dunked in a river by a man named John.  SO yes, fresh flowing water, the whole bit.  And yes - that was - a neat experience.  But the point is, that each one of those experiences was unique to me.  And *if* you choose this, it will be unique to *you*.

Because, like everything, I believe in the end, its just between you and God.

SO once youve figured out "dunked vs Sprinkled" then you need to find the appropriate minister to - well, administer it.  The easiest way to do this, is to find a church.
Note, I didnt say "join" a church.  I said *find* one.
If the pastor wont baptize you, without joining the church, smile and wave, and walk away.  You may want to point out on your way out the door, that Paul made quite a big deal about the fact that it *doesnt*matter* who baptizes you in his letters.
If you cant find a church, then look for any christian you know, willing to do the deed.  thats right - *any* of them, or us, can do it.  No, you dont need a degree.  Grab a bottle of water, hand it to them, and ask politely.  If they refuse, remind them that as far as God is concerned, we are *all* ministers... every single one of us.
Me?
Yeah, sure, I can do it, and would.  In a heartbeat.  I cant give you the pretty little certificate from it, but Im not sure God cares too much about that, either, and as Ive said, its the act - between you and *Him* that matters, nothing else.

Payment? Oh that would be nice...*very* nice.
Do I *ask* for it? Hell no.  Not *ever*.
In my opinion, any pastor who *asks* for payment, doesnt deserve it.
You dont do these things, for the money.

On the other hand, a man who works, deserves a wage.  So if a minister is willing, and doesnt bring up money, offer him some.  How much? Thats between you and God.  I know how much *I* would pay... but then, I most likely *dont* need to be baptized - again. *laughs*.

But yeah, I think Baptism is important for those who want, and can.  Its another step on the path, another - benchmark, if you will.  A mile marker on the road.  And if you get this far, then stop and enjoy it.  Because it wont be long, before the path gets muddy, and shit on, and sometimes washes out from under your feet.  But at that moment..  You *are* on solid rock.  Enjoy.

(please note, this isnt a decision to be rushed into.  this is something you want to consider - for a long time.  THis is a *real* statement, a declaration of life intent... and if you believe in such things as spirits, or heaven, and hell - then understand, that those beings, take this decision *far* more seriously then we do.  Or even understand how to. - and yes, I very much beleive in those places, and those beings, so - I too - take this as a remarkable decision.  And for those who take the step, I am always amazingly proud of. - poor idiotic fools as we all are)

No comments: