Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Interesting. At least to me.

Phil 3.8-9

8More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of O)">(O)knowing P)">(P)Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,

9and may be found in Him, not having Q)">(Q)a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, R)">(R)the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith


A very long time ago, I went in to get my credentials as a Pentecostal minister. During the interview, some things were legitimately brought to light wherein I could not receive those. Basically - although I was doing active ministry, It wasn't in a Pentecostal church. I wasn't even attending a Pentecostal church at the time. Now - I understand also, these are loopholes. If they had wanted me, they would have done it anyways.

Now adays, Im actually rather thankful I never got it.

But one thing always bothered me. And that was how they jumped on my use of the word "trash" when it came to my reading selections.

I did try to explain to them, that What I meant was *anything* that wasn't scripture. That I included legitimate literature, Biographies, and even textbooks in that pile. I wish now, I knew this verse better, as to scripturally back up my call.

Compared to the knowledge of Christ? What is Tolkien? Lewis? Lucado? What matters Wilkensen, or even Graham?

Apparently though - what I said was very, very wrong - and I realize something today that hurts deeply. These leaders of the church? These fine men and women who sat before me? They preferred the written words of men, to the Word. No better than the Catholics that they so slandered in their classes for following "The traditions of men" - They railroaded me for putting the Word of God so high above everything else.

It didn't occur to me then, that what I said there may have stung them.

It didn't occur to me than, that they were the ones being defensive. Angry at me for tapping their hollow metal gods.

Such a shame, that a simple reminder of what comes *first* can upset so many.

I should have shaken the dust from my feet when I left that building, and I will always be ashamed that I didnt. But now, I am certianly assured - Im never going back.

1 comment:

Lynnie Ha said...

it *is* interesting. i think if they couldn't see past your use of the word and translate it into what the verse says (which is exactly what you said!), it is their loss. seeing all else as rubbish is a true treasure.

that said, while i treasure the Word of God above all else in my heart, i wish in practice i could get into it more. i have so many mental blocks to even reading scripture it interferes with learning it better. my battle is not against flesh and blood - although i can't much read anything else either, except things the length of say, blog entries or short articles online, lol...